Saturday, January 29, 2011

Retrospective 00 - Back in America

As we descended through the fluffy ether, a fantastic and wonderful winter land presented itself. One could have imagined that she was at Santa's North Pole (neither magnetic nor true north). However, when we finally landed, the coldness became apparent beyond the physical level, which is significant since I was wearing 6 pounds of clothing and still feeling the chill. As much as I detest the dirt and dust, I miss the gritty warmth of Africa, particularly Burkina. New York City itself used to be able to claim some grit to it, but it's seemingly sterile. It might just be the excessive snow, though.

So, akia-blog was supposed to stand for AK In Africa. Luckily, this can be easily adjusted to AK In America. Apparently, I can live anywhere in the world except for Europe. Since I have ample time on my hands, I will be composing a multi-part blog post on my perspective (in retrospect) about the different aspects of being a PCV, particularly in Burkina Faso. I want to cover not only the general life cycle of a PCV (from PST to Swear-In to IST to MSC to COS to really COS'ing), but particularities about PCV life in Burkina Faso and travel in West Africa. I am self-absorbed enough to believe that this may be of particular interest to the recently invited Trainees leaving in May and June of 2011 and maybe my friends who want to know more about my service and other random tidbits about Burkina Faso and Africa.


Royal Air Maroc had a mildly long layover. They treated me well and all of my not-really-that-important worldly possessions apparently made it. More on overall travel to Africa in the first installment of my retrospective blog series, which may or may not include ranting, though not necessarily directed at RAM...

Anyway, you have been forewarned. I am currently exhausted from way too many good-byes, but once I catch on my sleep. Be ready for way too many blogs about things that may not interest you.

Freezing in America,

AK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh boy, you have something to say! :D