Monday, August 20, 2007

Braided and Photos



As you can see, I got my hair braided. This was an extremely long and fairly painful process, but since swear-in is coming up on Friday (for those who are keeping track), I thought it would be nice to get a new 'do. I am not looking forward to taking all the little rubberbands out. This will probably be my primary activity during transport to site when I have nothing better to do. I think hairstyle is a form of art though.



I have also gotten some clothes made. On the left, you will see some awesome fabric that I picked out for pants. In fact, I would like to call them my molecule pants since they remind me of small molecules. It is a big hit with all the other science and math teachers. I also have had some other clothes made, but I don't have any pictures of me in them yet.



Last Thursday, we had our closing ceremony for model school. We presented prizes to the top students in each class (male and female) and the kids danced and lip-synched a bunch of songs. It was fun, almost all of the SE PCTs got up to dance and J--- gave a speech about the seeds of knowledge that we had planted... and something about a garden in French. I handed out a few prizes and even danced a little bit with the kids.

I have been having San lessons lately to prepare myself for going to site. Like Jula and Mooré, there aren't very many verb conjugations. Unfortunately, there is a distinction between past tense, present tense, the infinitive, and the future tense. And, on top of it all, it is a tonal and dialect language like Chinese. As in, different regions speak different dialects of San. It is not like Mooré and Jula where there may be small variations in pronunciation (e.g. Texas vs. UK). There are full out different dialects. So, I have my brain full of local language that I can't get to stick.

This will probably be one of my last few posts before I head off to site and go off-the-grid for a few months. So, I will leave you with a few pictures of people during one of several heavy rain storms that we have had.




BTW, Biking through heavy rain storms is not fun!

PS, I also posted a few other pictures in my photo gallery. And, for this blog, I am too tired to figure out how to rotate the pictures, so you all will just have to bear with it, or perhaps one of my blog editors can figure it out and rotate the photos accordingly.

1 comment:

Oh boy, you have something to say! :D