Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Little Delayed

I am actually getting to site tomorrow for the very second time. Yes, I am actually moving in, and no, I don't know what my new postal address will be, but as I said, the other one will work if you change the T to a V (and probably even if you don't). Once I know, I probably won't have internet access to tell you all, but I promise to write someone or bike 40+k to the nearest (unreliable?) internet source.

This past week has been really hectic, between moving out of my host parents house, and then the swear-in ceremony, and then the bus ride down to capital, and then shopping for all of the stuff for my house, and then... Yeah, basically I have been feeling overwhelmed.

I am excited to get to site though, and really get settled in. It will be good to make a home and to paint my house all sorts of pretty. Unfortunately, I hit a snafu when trying to buy a car battery today because the salesperson was concerned if I didn't buy the whole package deal with the (dry-cell) battery and the solar panel, I wouldn't be able to recharge my battery just any old place. Why dry-cell? Lower maintenance cost despite the higher price tag. Downside, I don't have the time or the understanding of electrical type things to know how much juice I need for my battery (obviously this affects the price). Also, I don't know if I can charge a dry-cell battery through normal means (i.e. not a solar panel). So, the nice thing was they didn't pressure me into buying anything, which I couldn't afford anyway. And then, I had a tasty dinner at the restaurant next door.

    So, to all my readers out there:
  • If I have a 12V dry-cell battery, what kind of wattage/amperage/some sort of electrical termage do I need to charge a laptop (without running it)?
  • Do I absolutely need to charge from a solar panel or is it possible to do so from conventional battery recharging sources?
  • Should I just buy a cheaper standard car battery (higher maintenance and doesn't like to be drained completely) and hope it doesn't fall apart on me.

If the responses could be compiled into a nice and neat presentation that takes little time for my french-fuddled brain to comprehend, that would be great!

Other things? Since TH posed the question, I am sure other people may be wondering, too. What am I doing for the next month before school starts (yes, it is a trimester system sort of like Tech)?

The answer is integrate. Mathematically and socially, of course. *zing* (blame TH)

    So, I know that there is another stage coming in soon after me. If any of you future PCTs are reading this, I highly recommend:
  • Packing an extra bag inside your other bags. What they don't tell you is that they give you lots and lots of books and other papers that are useful and also use up a lot of space that you had so carefully packed everything you thought you needed for two years. Also, you kind of acquire lots of stuff by accident.
  • Also, really do bring a good frying pan and spatula.
  • Tupperware and ziploc bags are awesome.
  • Peanut butter is everywhere, but it is just not the same.
  • You don't really need lots of clothes because you can have them made here (or shop in the marche aka the thrift store), but I do highly recommend at least one pair of jeans (I automatically feel 50x more American when I wear them).
  • They take Visa here, not Mastercard or American Express (if you are thinking of bringing a credit or atm card). And, you can't use that plastic card for much more than atm machines that exist only in really large cities.
  • Bring a camera and take lots of pictures (unlike me, I am now less camera-happy than during my yesteryears).
  • I get to read Newsweek when I actually get my mail. The truth is, though, I sort of miss trashy American celebrity gossip, but only really just a tiny bit. I miss not having information readily available at my fingertips more.
  • Tell your alumni association where you are going. Chances are they will actually send alumni newsletters and the like to you in BF. (Yes, Tech is really doing that!)
  • Bring a good sense of humor because joking is key in this culture.
  • Appreciate every last tasty morsel you eat before you get here because you will shed all those pounds you gain before Stage and more!


Okay, it is late by my time, and I am off to bed.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure an automotive 12V dry-cell can be charged the same way as a non-dry-cell 12V battery (they are the same Lead-Acid technology, just more dry / less wet).

    Your standard laptop battery is approx. 12V x 4800mAh = 57.6 Watt-hours, so I would make sure your dry-cell is much bigger than this so you can charge one without depleting the other completely. Of course, the larger the batter, the longer it takes to charge back up (given a slow source of energy like the sun).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for writing all the small thoughts you had about finally leaving stage and entering the commitment of living Burkinabe. I felt every moment of your last day in Ouaga.
    It may sound odd, but I wish I had such easy choices right now..

    ReplyDelete

Oh boy, you have something to say! :D