Saturday, February 5, 2011

Culture Shock 03: Consumerism in America Continued

Dear America,

I know that sooner rather than later I will regain all of the weight I lost and turn into a size 10/12 again, but can you please let me enjoy being a size 6 for a little while longer?

Today I went shopping... granted with gift cards and at Marshall's, but still... it was shopping. I found some shoes for fifteen dollars. They're fun I think, but I don't really know what fashion is in America anymore. A couple of seemingly trendy tops and a pair of jeans. I also ended up with a swim dress that I think is fabulous especially during the winter time over a white shirt, but then again, I am most definitely fashion-challenged by America's standards. What I'm missing now is a comfortable sweater that's a little over-sized and comfortable. Something simple like this which I could wear with just about anything and warmify (I know it's not a word) myself when wearing a cute top. Quite frankly, winter can't be over soon enough!

The nicest thing about shopping was being able to buy white clothing without a second thought.
The worst thing about shopping was it has now re-opened the door to my horrible addiction of clothing, shoes and handbags.

For almost two decades I have been roughly the same height. I have accumulated twenty years of t-shirts and clothing that I have been reluctant to part with because it fits and it's not torn! Alas, no more! I'm going through my piles and piles of clothing right now and sending off the ones I don't want to people who could really use them... in Africa. In Burkina, they call second-hand clothing "fripperie" and they love it! Especially since some of the "new" stuff is low-quality stuff imported from China (the kind of quality that doesn't even make it to the USA). Our "Made in China" is better than theirs.

In other news, I find American food disappointing. It might be the terrible chain restaurants I've been to so far. I hope that tomorrow this disappointment will be corrected.

Still miss Burkina on so many levels, but I'm glad I can wear white now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh boy, you have something to say! :D