Sunday, February 27, 2011

Culture Shock 04: Getting to Know Americans, You and Me... All Over Again

Note: This is a mostly ridiculous appreciation of American fashion and facial expression. The summary of this entry is to implore you for your phone number.

For the first time in a decade, I will be spending more than a month at my family home. This is wonderful and terrible all at once. I have ever so slowly been rediscovering who I used to be (through my ridiculously huge wardrobe, piles of books and papers dating back to the 80s). I know that most of it has to go, but the terribleness lies in the choice of what stays and what goes. In the process, I have to figure out who I am all over again. BurkinAK can't completely exist in America, but not all of her will disappear either.

Americans have been confusing for BurkinAK. Life is definitely more fast paced in America, and as a result, few people smile. Furthermore, due to the chilly temperatures, everyone is dressed in dark, somber sad colors. I understand that practical clothes are often in practical colors, but an outfit can easily be livened up with a bright scarf, hat or gloves. Of course, I should really be the last person to criticize. As I sorted through my wardrobe, I was very depressed by the overwhelming amount of practicality in my wardrobe. Too much black. Not enough color! I'm afraid of AmericAK v3.0 eventually being assimilated back into a dreary wardrobe by the time she evolves into AmericAK v3.9.

Luckily, my taste in shoes has not changed since AmericAK v2.9. I am delighted in my ridiculously too tall heels, fun colors and other assorted wonderfulness. Though, I am missing a pair of every day heeled sandals and a comfortable pair of running shoes. Despite the higher rate of American frowning, I find it odd that they are all wearing comfortable shoes. I find that the amount of frowning should be much less since the majority of people are wearing practical shoes. Perhaps, practical and comfortable don't actually make people happy. I traipsed around NYC in 3" purple booties this weekend and was happy!

However, despite the overwhelming amount of frowning and serious faces, I find that people can still be considerate. A wonderful couple stopped me to give me back a dropped glove (even though they were clearly in a hurry). A passerby told a couple of girls that it looked like their train tickets had fallen on the ground (I didn't notice because I was sitting next to them). Even though a lot of people will look at you blankly as you walk by, I am glad that decent people are still out there in the city.

However, the hardest things about coming back to Americaland is getting out of the house and actually interacting with people one-on-one! I do really want to catch up with the lives of my friends and family, but its hard when they have whole and busy American lives that have moved in a different direction from my own Burkina lifestyle. The worst part is... I don't have a lot of people's phone numbers, and even worse I don't know where they are in the world.

Dear friends and people who unfortunately may consider me only an acquaintance now,

I would really like to get back in touch with you! Please send me your phone number and a good time to call. If we are in the same area and you want to take a break and catch up on life, let me know that, too.

Sincerely,

AK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh boy, you have something to say! :D