Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Different Cafe

I am trying out a different cafe today. It is 100 CFA cheaper. The connection is very slow and I cannot get my email to work right now. My phone will probably be decodé (unlocked) by Friday (if it can be done).

I dont think I am going to try to upload any pictures today. A lot of the computers here have readers for smart cards and compact flash which is awesome. Yesterday morning, we had our first heavy rain during the day. As I was biking to class with my classmates, we were biking against the win towards these giant brown clouds, reminicent of really smoggy days in Los Angeles. The dust/sandstorm got closer and closer and finally it hit. After the wind paused for a little bit, the heavy rains started. The rain lasted until a little before we had to leave for our technical session (where I am learning how to teach). It was still drizzling, but only lightly. TC should be happy to know I got some use out of my Interhovse STAFF jacket. It is very compact so I always carry it with me since it is currently the rainy season.

My first five-minute teaching session went pretty well. The only downer was that it was only five minutes and I had more than five minutes of materials. I gave a 6eme (approx sixth grade) introduction to points and lines and had a pretty nifty group activity to explain points and lines. I am looking forward to the longer session where I can actually have time to deliver my lesson without rushing.

I think I am going to really enjoy teaching. I say that now before having to deal with discipline issues and cheating. I guess we will see how I feel in a few months when I am actually teaching. As frustrated as I am with heat rashes and the billions of insects (apparently they dont use the word billion in french either) and the lack of cool things (let alone cold things), I felt so excited to teach and reenergized. I am hoping that I really enjoy this teaching thing... and that I survive. 10-year plan still on track.

I am tired and probably should go home to dinner soon before my family starts worrying about me. Especially,if I want to get in my evening bucket bath!

à la prochaine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh boy, you have something to say! :D