Friday, June 8, 2007

Prelude to Training

I'm now in Africa! It's been pretty cool by BF standards in the capital. I would guesstimate 90-95 F max. Dry heat is good beause it doesn't make me wish for A/C as much as humid heat does. I'm alive and smell quite natural.

Staging (orientation) was rather painless, and my fellow trainees are all great people... so far. There are two primary programs in our stage, girls' education & empowerment and secondary education. I'm part of SE, in particular, I've been assigned to math. The rest of the SE trainees are science teachers.

What's it like in BF so far? We've been staying at a nice place with a few other PCVs. It reminds me a lot of my grandmother's place in S---. The bathrooms are communal, but there is that sort of feel to it. They've been breaking us in gently so far with electricity and running water. Even in the capital, not all of the roads are paved. It actually reminds me a lot of walking around in S---, but not as paved or crowded. We walked around a little yesterday and got to experience a little shopping.

Yesterday, I got tested in my badass language skills. I also found out that I would be receiving lots of shots today... Yay! :p I also got my medical kit with enough to take care of me for a lot of things.

The keyboard in BF is the French version, so it's quite interesting.

How do I feel? Sore from receiving four shots, but generally okay. There are definitely moments when I am feeling anxious or overwhelmed, but I know everyone else in my group has that similar sort of feeling at times. I joke and say that between our group there is one confident person, but from moment to moment that person changes. I hope that as time passes, that one person grows to encompass our entire group.

I haven't taken that many pictures yet, so I don't have much to share.

Today, we are leaving for training in O---. I believe now begins the "hard" part.

Write me luck, and think cool thoughts.

<3, AK

1 comment:

  1. great to hear from you, grandpa had another operation, but he's ok and bak to home now.

    ReplyDelete

Oh boy, you have something to say! :D