Monday, June 25, 2007

Village Visit

This past weekend a lot of SE trainees visited the GEE trainees (aka, the village people) in their respective villages. I officially visited Y--- in K---. It is small village located about a 30 to 45 minute bike ride from the city. Just as we arrived a lightning storm started. It rained for a short while. L--- and I, who were staying with Y---, hurried inside and had some dinner and waited out the brief rains.

Afterwards, the rest of the trainees who were in the village came over to hang out chez Y---. We enjoyed a relatively long lightning storm sans pluie. It was really beautiful, unfortunately, my camera decided not to work at that time, so I don,t have any good pictures.

Soon the HCNs told us that the rain would come. Us Americans looked around and didnt see anything, but we listened anyway. Luckily, everyone made it home just before the rains came down again. I spent the night listening to the bleating of lambs (extremely skinny and unwoolly) as they tried to push in the screen doors of Y---s house. Unfortunately, Y--- got sick from something she ate that night, too. The next morning I tried this fried dough reminiscent of a donut, but more like the Taiwanese breakfast food "yio tiao" (please excuse my lack of characters or even pinyin). It was delicious and brought back many memories of summers in Taiwan.

Reactions to village life? I think I can handle it.

I am trying to post pictures on Picasa right now of all the pictures I have taken so far (not many). So, you can see them at http://picasaweb.google.com/pictureandrea/

1 comment:

  1. I just taught mom the first words of French when she calls your home. Care to check my grammar? Mine kind of sucks.

    Je suis la maman d'Andrea. Pourrais-je lui parler?

    Haha, I definitely have to start learning it all over again.

    ReplyDelete

Oh boy, you have something to say! :D